Church in Devonport begins.
Although there had been visits by Presbyterian ministers previously, the first indication of regular Presbyterian work in the area was in May 1885,
“when the Rev H T Hull was inducted to the new charge of West Devon in the Town Hall Forth. The Charge included Leven, Don, Castra and Penguin.”
The intention to develop a Presbyterian Church in Formby ( the early name for Devonport) is supported by the fact that an allotment
was “reserved to the Presbyterian Church” in Steele street ,Formby as documented in records from 1866 & 1868.
The church did not proceed to obtain title of the land as it stated the taxes (some £2 or £3 annually) “were considered burdensome”
“A Home Mission Station with a nice little church” was built at Don in 1891
The first Presbyterian church in Devonport briefly used the Congregational Church and then the Devonport Town Hall
They were received as Minister ( Rev. D. Brown ) and congregation by the Presbytery of Launceston on February 23rd 1904.
They were thus meeting as a Presbyterian Church in Devonport from March 1904.
By December 1906 they had built a church in Edward Street and began meeting there.
This building served as their church until October 1957 when the present church was opened and dedicated..
It is a light and airy building and has a seating capacity of 200.
Sited on the corner of Best and Edward streets, it was designed by the Architect Mr. A.A. Freak.
The new church was named in memory of Columba who in 563 landed at Iona, an island off the Scottish coast and founded the work which was to evangelise Scotland.
The original church now serves as the congregational hall and is used for Sunday school ( Our Place) , meetings, lunches, dinners and general purposes.
Further improvements to the building have included a striking new colour scheme and a remodelled front entrance .
The new front entrance was entirely financed by monthly stalls organised by Mrs. Brenda Roberts, Mrs. Mary Gott and a loyal band of helpers.
The photograph on the right , shows the original church on the left of the remodelled front entrance and the current church to the right of the entrance.
The Devonport Church remains Presbyterian Church
During the 1970’s there were moves to join with the Congregational and Methodist churches to form a branch of the Uniting Church.
Finally, after a process of voting, this church elected to remain a Presbyterian Church.
From June 22nd 1977, some members left to become part of the newly formed Uniting Church but there was minimal disruption and great generosity of spirit within the Charge.
There have been many people who have been part of our history but they are not referred to by name.
Our story is made possible by them and it would be terrible to start to list them and then leave someone out.
May they be aware of the gratitude we all feel to them for their commitment and devotion.
Ministries- Devonport Don.
1903-1906: Rev D Brown. 1907 – 1911: Rev. S Byron. 1912- 1917: Rev.D Jones.
1918 – 1919: Rev J H M Dabb. 1920- 1924: Rev R Rankin. 1925-1933 : Rev F J Thomas.
1933-1938: Rev. L Clayton. 1939- 1953: Rev A R Barnett. 1953-1954: Rev. S Vertigan
1954-1959: Rev. R J Scrimgeour 1960 : Rev A A Mc Kenzie- supply 1960: Rev K Forbes Ewan – Supply
1961-1965 : Rev D V Morey. 1965- 1966: Rev. CE Hipwell – Supply
1966-1969: Rev G L Stewart. 1969 – 1970: Supply – combined with Methodist church.
1970 – 1973: Rev J C McDiarmid 1974; Rev J Saunders – Supply. 1975-1977: Rev R W F White .
1978-1979: Mr John Saunders – Supply 1980 – 1981: Rev A J Blazely – Supply
1980 -1981 : Mr P Playsted ordained and inducted 1981
1982- 1984: Rev P Playsted 1985 – 1989: Rev J Britton 1992-1996: Rev T S Penning .
1998 – 2001: Rev D C Geddes 2002 – 2015 : Rev S C Warwick 2015- Rev A Satchell
Music has played a significant part in the services in this Church and in the lives of us all. It has helped to give expression to our love for our God and has brought great beauty to our worship.
November 1904 The church arranged to take an organ on trial from Munnew and Findlay; the ‘ Mason & Hamlin ‘ organ as used for many years.
November 1957 Mrs Kirkwood donated an organ . This is the handsome ‘Estey’ which is currently located in the foyer.
On 28th January 1961 a small pipe organ was dedicated to the Glory of God .
This organ has had 2 rebuilds 1 in 1971 by Mr K R Davis of Launceston Tasmania, and again in 1977 ( plus an extension) by Laurie Pipe Organs of Moorabin Victoria.
Throughout its 113 years The Church has ben most fortunate in enjoying the generous services of fine organists.
Mention must be made of Mr Ken Field -23 years service– who, in many ways established a pattern for fine musicianship within our Church
and Mr. Jack Archer -23 years service- who gave wonderful service and was a great enthusiast.
Especially we remember the wonderful contribution of Mr David Scott who as a teenager, Master David Scott, took over responsibility for the organ and subsequently gave 46 years of service.
1941 an entry into the annual report read ” Praise for his great works can hardly be too high.” In 1991 there was a special service to give thanks for his 40 years of service.
Anne Mitchell has been our organist since David’s death in 1995 .
Mr Ron Churcher former music director for many many years at the Baptist Church in Devonport, came to ‘help out’ for a few months and stayed for 20 + years.
We celebrated both his and Anne Mitchell’s 90th birthday a few months ago.
Thus began a fine tradition of choral singing in the Church.
In later years the Choir entered the Devonport and Launceston Eisteddfods and always acquitted themselves with distinction.
The two wars affected the composition of the choir but always it seems that people appeared and it was able to continue.
The Junior Choir
A children’s choir is mentioned as singing for morning services in 1906.
” This caused quite a disturbance which finally resulted in the resignation of Rev Brown. The Board of Management was seen as over – riding the jurisdiction of the Minister and session in this matter.”
Fortunately the Junior Choir continued and we see further mention of them as a credit and joy in 1925 ,1946 ,1947.
There was then an unexplained lapse of some years until 1963 the Junior Choir was restarted by Mrs Marjory Scott (wife of organist David Scott)
They sang at morning services, Sunday school anniversaries, musical plays and also achieved success at both the Launceston and Devonport Eisteddfods
The choir went into recess in 1969 but Mrs Scott formed another junior Choir in 1984 and this performed wonderfully well until its members reached school leaving age in 1991.
Today we await another Junior Choir whilst the Senior Choir under the tutelage and baton of Rosie Stapleton continues to enhance our worship with beautiful music and voice.